
This lovely assortment is the creative work of Carmon Burgess of Wooley Creek Tribal & Ethnic Jewelry.
From Claremore, Oklahoma, Carmon has been handcrafting items for most of her life. "I have been crafting various things most of my life. I was always coming up with something to use around the house, to wear, or to give as gifts."
Carmon learned embroidery when she was five years old. She stitched her daughter' infant clothes, and took on quilting, crocheting, rag doll making and cross-stitching, before finding beadwork. "I have been doing beadwork since about 1990, with a couple of breaks here and there, I added leather work so that I could do beadwork on that too! In between all that, I am a genealogist...so I am never at a loss for something to do!"
Although she is not a member of a native tribe, Carmon does have native blood, and her husband is a registered member of the Cree Nation.
For Carmon and her Wooley Creek studio, finding an online site like ArtFire is great, as she has a disability. "Artfire is a godsend to artist like me who cannot always go out in public to sell their wares because of physical limitations. The staff is wonderful and supportive of its artists, the sellers are great! I love it!"
No comments:
Post a Comment