Saturday, May 30, 2009

Groovin' with Ladeda Creations!


Fun! Funky! Groovy! You'd think I was talking about returning to the 60s, but no, I'm referring to the bright and colourful polymer clay designs of LaDeDa Creations!

Swirls of blues, pinks, oranges and greens reflect the imagination of Laura Ruiz of Catoosa, Oklahoma, the creative force behind LaDeDa Creations.  But this isn't an aging hippie; in fact Laura was barely out of diapers in the 70s.  

"People have always told me I was born in the wrong time because I have always loved the 60's and 70's. Everything from the clothing to the music, and of course all the bright colours! I think it's because I've always been more of a free spirit than a go with the flow type person."

She has loved art of all kind since she was young, playing with art & crafts such as Shrinky Dinks, Playdough and colouring crayons.  She went on to study cosmetology and for the last 19 years, she has been doing manicures -- sometimes with an added touch!  "I found a way to work my art into my every day life by doing hand painted nail art on the ladies nails. Now I'm in another phase of my life where I'm ready to phase that part out and do my online business full time." Laura and her husband own a day spa in Catoosa, called Laura's Garden Spa.

And her online work keeps her busy. LaDeDa Creations can be found on ArtFire, Etsy, 1000 Markets and on her own website. She is also a member of the ArtFire Jewelry Artists and Supply Shops Guild.

But LaDeDa Creations is about more than selling.  On ArtFire, LaDeDa is continually promoting fellow artisans through Twitter, VoteHandMade, blogs and forums.  She manages the ArtFire Crazy Train campaign where different artisans are highlighted and promoted on different days.  "I believe promoting others is easier than promoting yourself and it's more fun.  I believe God has blessed me with the ability and desire to help others so it gives me joy to do so!"

Like many ArtFire artisans, LaDeDa Creations enjoys being a member of the ArtFire community. "There are so many great things about Art Fire! First of all the Administration sets the tone for the community feel, they treat us as equals and value our opinions. Their desire to do their best for us causes us to want to give our best to each other. We are treated more like family than just customers that are paying our monthly bill to help them keep the site running. They give us so many tools to help us succeed and don't stifle our creativity in making new tools to promote ourselves and each other. Because of Art Fire I have made many friends and continue to make more as the site grows."

1 comment:

  1. Great job on spotlight her!! This was wonderful to read and now I know more about her!

    ReplyDelete